The Planning Stage
Over the past couple of weeks the Hertford Digital Leaders have been meeting to discuss what they wanted to do for their special DL e-safety assembly on Safer Internet Day (5th Feb)
The need to remind everyone about how to stay safe on the internet was already a school concern following an email from a parent who was worried about her children having made ‘friends’, without her knowledge, on the Moshi Monsters website. The year 2s were already focusing on this and had watched the brilliant ‘Kim and Lee’ cartoon on http://www.thinkuknow.com/5_7/LeeandKim/ when we realised that Safer Internet Day was coming up soon. This would be the ideal opportunity to remind the whole school community about internet safety.
At our first meeting there were many excellent ideas suggested and everyone was really enthusiastic to share what they know about staying safe on the internet with the younger children in the school.
- Introduction Message; We want you to stay safe when you are playing games on the internet.
- Show the Kim and Lee video on Thinkuknow to everyone because we thought it was good and made the messages easy to understand – don’t give out personal information, people might not always be who they say they are, be polite
- Play Acting – Act out doing the wrong thing and someone show how to do the right thing.
- Make posters to put around the school – make mini posters for everyone to take home that day
- Make DVDs about e-safety for people to take home and share the message with their family
- Make an e-safety newsletter
- Have a stand in the playground to give out the posters/DVDs and talk to everyone about staying safe. Oscar and Monty were particularly keen to lead the playground posse, suggesting exactly how to organise it!
- The children have made their e-safety posters at home.
- They have planned the assembly – Introduction, laptop set up on a table covered with a cloth (a DL hidden underneath pretending to be the computer!). A DL will ask for a ‘volunteer’ from the audience to play an online computer game. Isabel, one of our year 1 DLs will be this ‘volunteer’ and she will make all the obvious mistakes when the voice of the computer asks her for her name, school, address, phone number etc. At this point some of the year 2 DLs will jump in and say STOP! Then we will show the Kim and Lee film to the whole school.
- In the playground as well as handing out their mini posters, the DLs will direct parents into the hall to watch the Kim and Lee film (playing on a continuous loop) There is also a link to this on our school VLE www.hertfordinf.brighton-hove.sch.uk . A letter has gone home to check parents’ permission for this event as it extends beyond the normal school day.
- All DLs to wear an e-safety sherriff badge like in the Kim and Lee film.
- A banner has been made to advertise the event in the playground (made using 2publish+)
Safer Internet Day!
Safer Internet Day has been a very successful for the DLs. The assembly was well received by all the children who watched and listened intently and it was a joy to watch the DLs in action in the playground wearing their high vis jackets and sherriff badges handing out the posters and parent information sheets. Some of the DLs stayed in the hall to supervise the showing of the film and it was great to see the number of parents who took the time to go in and watch the film with their children. Some children were even seen insistently pulling their parents into the hall! Other parents who didn’t have time to stay said they would look online. One parent suggested we repeated it again next year.
There was a great sense of achievement afterwards and the DLs were very proud of what they had achieved. I was also very proud of them for the responsible way they behaved today and for the mature manner in which they communicated the important messages of the day to their peers and the parents.